Welcome to SubtiWiki! - Bacillus subtilis annotation the "wiki" way!
- The BACELL meeting 2015, organized by Leendert Hamoen will take place from April 14 to 15 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Contact
- The International Conference on Metabolic Engineering, organized by Ivan Mijakovic and Leendert Hamoen will take place from April 16 to 17 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Contact
- The 8th International Conference on Gram-positive Microorganisms (18th International Conference on Bacilli) in Montecatini Terme, organized by Marta Perego, Jim Hoch, and Hendrik Szurmant will take place from June 21 to 25. Conference website
- Past conferences
New: Subtiwiki is now on Facebook - please give it a +1!
Now online: A new description of SubtiWiki and its acompanying modules in the 2014 Database issue of Nucleic Acids Research
Paper of the month: November 2014
- Integration of prophages into coding sequences of the host genome results in loss of function of the interrupted gene. In B. subtilis 168, the SP-beta prophage is inserted into a uncharacterized spore polysaccharide synthesis gene, spsM. In vegetative cells, the lytic cycle is induced in response to DNA damage. In the process, the SP-beta prophage is excised from the genome to form phage particles. Now, Abe et al. demonstrate that the excision of the SP-beta prophage also occurs systematically during sporulation to reconstitute a functional spsM gene from the incomplete yodU and ypqP pseudogenes. Because phage excision is limited to the mother cell genome, and does not occur in the forespore genome, the SP-beta prophage is an integral part of the spore genome. Thus, after germination, the SP-beta prophage is propagated vertically to the progeny. The authors suggest their results indicate that the two pathways of SP-beta prophage excision support both the phage life cycle and normal sporulation of the host cells.
- Relevant SubtiWiki pages: SP-beta prophage, sporulation, yodU, ypqP, SprA, SprB
- See also:
New procedure for account creation:
- Due to massive spam attacks, we had to change our policy for the creation of accounts. If you want to create an account, just send me a mail. We will create the account for you as quickly as possible, then you can change your password. This does not affect existing accounts, which remain active.
- Please remember that all members of the Bacillus community are invited to create accounts and to contribute to SubtiWiki!
News in SubtiWiki:
- August 2014: The first mobile application for SubtiWiki is now available for users of Android phones: Go for SubtiWiki in Google Play! IPhone users, please be patient! You will be served next! Click here to install!
- April 2013: SubtiWiki uses a new, faster Mediawiki platform! The times for page access are significantly reduced. Enjoy!
- March 2013: updated Excel files that map all genes to categories and regulons as well as the general updated identity mapping of all genes were uploaded.
- October 2012: the essential genes have been categorized
- September 2012: 300 mutant strains available at the BGSC were added to the corresponding gene pages
- August 2012: SubtiExpress, the new compagnon of SubtiWiki devoted to gene expression is online! Try it out!
- April 2012: Links for expression data under 104 different conditions (based on Nicolas et al., 2012) have been added to the expression section of the individual gene pages
- April 2011: SubtInteract, a presentation of protein-protein interactions in B. subtilis, is online!
- December 2010: SubtiCellPublisher allows the conversion of CellDesigner diagrams to navigatable presentations in the style of SubtiPathways
|Genes (examples)||Additional pages|
|ptkA||list of plasmids|
|mreC||labs working on Bacillus|
|ccpA||the people behind SubtiWiki|
Publications describing SubtiWiki and SubtiPathways: