SubtiWiki goes mobile!
Do you want to check genes or proteins wherever you are? Want to takes private notes and add your ideas and pictures to your favorite genes?
Then go and download the new SubtiWiki app, which is available for iOS and Android devices!
- Description: translation initiation factor IF-3
Categories containing this gene/protein
This gene is a member of the following regulons
Phenotypes of a mutant
Basic information/ Evolution
- Catalyzed reaction/ biological activity:
- Protein family: IF-3 family (according to Swiss-Prot)
Extended information on the protein
- Effectors of protein activity:
- Structure: 1TIF (N-terminal domain, Geobacillus stearothermophilus), 1TIG (C-terminal domain, Geobacillus stearothermophilus)
Expression and regulation
- RelA dependent downregulation (Class I) during stringent response PubMed
- Additional information:
- expression of IF3 is uncoupled from that of L35 and L20 by RNase Y-dependent processing PubMed
- number of protein molecules per cell (minimal medium with glucose and ammonium): 3318 PubMed
- number of protein molecules per cell (complex medium with amino acids, without glucose): 9964 PubMed
Labs working on this gene/protein
Margaret M Elvekrog, Ruben L Gonzalez
Conformational selection of translation initiation factor 3 signals proper substrate selection.
Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol.: 2013, 20(5);628-33
Patrice Bruscella, Karen Shahbabian, Soumaya Laalami, Harald Putzer
RNase Y is responsible for uncoupling the expression of translation factor IF3 from that of the ribosomal proteins L35 and L20 in Bacillus subtilis.
Mol. Microbiol.: 2011, 81(6);1526-41
Ludek Sojka, Tomás Kouba, Ivan Barvík, Hana Sanderová, Zdenka Maderová, Jirí Jonák, Libor Krásny
Rapid changes in gene expression: DNA determinants of promoter regulation by the concentration of the transcription initiating NTP in Bacillus subtilis.
Nucleic Acids Res.: 2011, 39(11);4598-611
Nasslie Choonee, Sergine Even, Lena Zig, Harald Putzer
Ribosomal protein L20 controls expression of the Bacillus subtilis infC operon via a transcription attenuation mechanism.
Nucleic Acids Res.: 2007, 35(5);1578-88
Christine Eymann, Georg Homuth, Christian Scharf, Michael Hecker
Bacillus subtilis functional genomics: global characterization of the stringent response by proteome and transcriptome analysis.
J. Bacteriol.: 2002, 184(9);2500-20
V Biou, F Shu, V Ramakrishnan
X-ray crystallography shows that translational initiation factor IF3 consists of two compact alpha/beta domains linked by an alpha-helix.
EMBO J.: 1995, 14(16);4056-64